Sunday, November 20, 2011

Abandon Ship!?

We’re sinking faster than the Titanic, folks…

Well, apparently to some people, the Rangers stopping a win streak at 7 games is a cause to throw on your life jackets and plummet into cold water.  Over dramatic? Maybe just a tad.

In the game of hockey, a team stands a 50-50 shot of losing or winning.  A game of chance perhaps? Possibly. But we can’t discount the fact that the Rangers have WON 7 games. In a row.  Sure, an 8th would have been grand, but is it cause to throw up your arms and seek the comfort of another team? A winning team?  I'd like to think not.  All teams have their ups and downs. Winning streaks, losing streaks. Teams they play poorly against, ice they can’t seem to catch a win on.

It’s part of the excitement of the NHL, of being a loyal team fan.  You love them, you hate them, you want to hug them, or kick them in the shins.  I like to borrow some lyrics from Christina Perri. It sums up my being a Rangers’ fan.

If you could envision
The meaning of a tragedy
You might be surprised to hear it’s you and me
When it comes down to it
You never made the most of it
So I cry, cry, cried….

Yes, there are nights that I have cried tears of joy, and tears of utter pain.  I may have a permanent palm-mark on my forehead. I may have consoled myself in a large cup of coffee. I might have yelled obscenities at the TV... But it's part of the joy and the heartache of being a fan.  It wouldn't be all rainbows and kittens if your team won every game.  Well, maybe it would be all rainbows, but no kittens. But is there any emotion when a team consistently piles on win after win after win? Yeah, but losing makes those wins oh-so-much-sweeter.

The Rangers are only 17 games in. 17 out of 82. There’s no cause to panic quite yet.  So hold onto your life vests, take note of the emergency exits, which on the Titanic are easy to spot, anything over the rail, and enjoy the choppy waters. Just take ample amounts of dramamine.

photo courtesy of JenKrechelPhotography


Plus, Chris Porter of the St Louis Blues will guide us to safety in the event we do have to jump ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment