Friday, November 18, 2011

Guys Giving Back: Vinny Lecavalier

It makes my heart melt. (and yes, I do in fact have a heart…)

So, November is now known as #Movember. Yes, you need the hashtag for it to be legit.  #Movember is for men’s health awareness, and in particular, prostate cancer.  And what says ‘men’s health’ more than a wickedly awesome mustache? Exactly, nothing else.  Prostate cancer, according to the American Cancer Society, is estimated to take the lives of approximately 33,000 men in 2011, and that approximately 240,000 new cases will be diagnosed.  Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men, right behind lung cancer. As a soon-to-be oncology nurse, I’m always thrilled to read how athletes give back, especially when it comes to cancer and cancer research.  I’m sure many of us are following at least one NHL’er or athlete on Twitter who is growing one for men’s health. If you can, throw a dollar their way, make a small difference.  Check out http://us.movember.com/ and search for them. It’s easy really.  This prompted me to see who else is giving back, but not just in the month of #Movember.

This time I hunted around a bit to find another player who gives back.  As soon as I came across his website for his foundation, I knew I had to choose him. I spent a good hour or so reading about his foundation, and all they do. Again, I’m impressed and astonished, just as I was with Liles and Richards.  These guys give their heart and their souls to their foundations, and it shows. 

This week’s Guys Giving Back guy is Vinny Lecavalier from the Tampa Bay Lightning, a name almost every hockey fan knows. Not only does Lecavalier excel on the ice, he also excels in the community.  

Founded in 2003, TheVincent Lecavalier Foundation focuses on the All Children’s Hospital and the families and children of the Tampa Bay Area.  His foundation’s mission statement is straight forward:

The Vinny Lecavalier Foundation works to build hope for children and families battling pediatric cancer and blood disorders and to fund medical research, programming and pediatric patient care through the new Vincent Lecavalier Pediatric Cancer and Blood Disorders Center at All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg, FL.

In 2007, he made a gracious donation to have constructed the Vincent Lecavalier Pediatric Cancer and Blood Disorders Center at the All Children’s Hospital.  This wing, which was completed around January 2010, boasts 28 rooms, all equipped with the technology, knowledgeable staff and touches of home that would be a welcome site to any family that has to endure the battle of cancer. If you browse his website, you’ll be amazed at what the Center has to offer. I looked at countless photos of him visiting the Center, and its amazing to see the smiles on these kids faces.  Working in healthcare, I know that sometimes one visit can mean the world to a patient.  It helps them forget for a moment all that is wrong, and relish the special moments. It’s something that you do for the patient, not for yourself. Sure, you can put a price on a wing in a hospital, new equipment, etc… But nothing is as priceless as a smile from a patient. 

Nothing.

I don’t think ‘admiration’ is quite enough to describe how I feel about writing these past few articles. I’m humbled by the giving that takes place by these truly amazing men. It makes me not only proud to be an NHL fan, but to also have chosen healthcare as my career. 


No comments:

Post a Comment