Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Is Avery Really the Answer?

Let's think about this seriously folks. I'll put aside my utter disdain for him for a hot minute while we do so.

I saw a mass amount of people that wanted Avery in last nights game for a 'spark'. Seriously, the last thing the Rangers needed was a 'spark' from Avery, since 'sparks' usually involve him taking a penalty or dropping the gloves. The Rangers don't need a 'spark', they need to play smarter. Will having Avery up in the big club help them play smarter? I highly doubt it, since he would have racked up more time in the box last night, than actually being on the ice.

All of which is a moot point anyways, since he still is practicing no-contact with the lovely yellow (appropriately fitting colour) jersey in CT. I do not foresee Avery making the trip to NY, unless the team is taken out by the black plague or food poisoning. I think Avery's schtick has well worn out it's welcome. The Rangers have many other more versatile players that can fit his 3rd/4th line presence. This was evidenced by Rupp's goal and Newbury's physicalness (which was felt, but not seen in the box).

Unless the team is looking for fashion advice, which they apparently don't need by the induction of the 'Broadway Hat', I think Avery will be at home in the Whale.

Edited to add:
I see its a possibility for Avery to make his AHL debut on Friday with the Whale.  IF he can play a smarter more disciplined game, I'm all for him getting another shot.  But based on past experience, he still is to me, a loose cannon.   And with the Rangers taking the amount of penalties they have taken as of lately, is it really wise for him to be with the Rangers?

No comments:

Post a Comment